Started Mar 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gregh42
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?
Walkabout Lens recommendation for 7D?
Mar 6, 2012

I have owned two Digital Rebels (XT, and T1i), but finally pulled the trigger on the Canon 7D this past weekend. One of my first lens purchases with the XT was the Tamron EF-S lens (17-50mm, f2.8) and it has done a great job over the years. My only complaint is the high pitch AF sound, and that it often hunts to focus especially in low light. However, IQ is great and I get a real nice bokeh for most of my shots.

I was wondering if anyone else is in a similar situation with the Tamron 17-50 2.8, and/or what a similar quality alternative would be to address my issues. This would be a general purpose lens, and would also be used in low light / indoor situations as well as outdoor general settings. Basically what I'd want on my camera 80% of the time. On occasion I do landscape pictures and would also like to use this lens for that purpose.

For sports I am pretty set and using the Canon L 80-200 f2.8 and I would love to get the same IQ and color from my walkabout.

For portrait type work I am still using the Canon 50mm 1.8 and thinking about eventually upgrading to the f1.4.

This purchase will be in the future, since it'll take me a while to recover from my new 7D. Budget wise I'd like to be around $1000 or less.

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Gregh42's gear list:Gregh42's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +8 more
Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3) Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow