Why trying to prove D800 same high ISO as D4?

Started Mar 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dominique Dierick
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,467Gear list
Like?
Why trying to prove D800 same high ISO as D4?
Mar 6, 2012

I wonder why people are trying to convince themselves (desperately) D800 high ISO noise will be on par or close to D4/D3s. When viewed at 100% it will definitely not be so - as far as I have seen from samples flying around here.

The camera which will come closest to D4/D3s in a smaller package is the Canon 5DmkIII - from what I have seen in the few raws on the net (no need to post the JPEGs from lousy 5DmkIII samples, which do not do that camera justice).

This can be good news (for Canon users) or bad news (for those hoping D800 to be the next D700). Yes, one can scale down the D800 image and get less visible noise, and yes, noise will look better if printed at similar, moderate scale as a D3s image, but it is not really close to D4/D3s. If you use the camera mostly for event/pj/concerts, I fear the heavy files are not going to make the photographer happy.

I have a D800 on order, but I am 100% sure I am not going to use it for that kind of work, huge overkill. The camera just isn't made for this imho. What do other event/pj/concert photographers think about this? Curious.

When high ISO and delivery speed is of major importance, my D3s will do the job.

D.

-- hide signature --

My equipment: Nikon D3s, D700, D7000, EOS 450D
The ladies equipment: Panasonic LX5 and GH2 for video

Dominique Dierick's gear list:Dominique Dierick's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D3S Nikon D4 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow