Started Mar 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,904Gear list
Like?
Quesabesde EM5 RAW/Oly Viewer check
Mar 6, 2012

I must say I am not seeing anything, nada, performance wise over the Panasonic GX1 sensor. Maybe there's more to the story if they used a pre-final production camera but I understand that's not the case.

That doesn't mean it's useless or bad. But unless there's something on that order, I predict the DXo scores are going to come out close to identical of the GX1.

The dynamic range doesn't seem to have moved that much forward (over the E-5) if any at all. The shots they had are clearly held back in detail by the 12-50 kit lens which I must say it's not all that good (not very sharp, not very fast).

There's definitively a difference from equivalent 4/3rd lenses to that m4/3rds Olympus lens. It's like Olympus is stringing those who go for m4/3rds along, releasing every increasingly better lenses but not quite the 4/3rds class yet.

Anyone looking to upgrade to this camera from an E3/E-5 beware. Think which lenses are you going to use regularly. If you think you are going to be using that 12-50 a lot, then it will be a step down.

It's only fair to see the same type of shot next to each other but the samples they have aren't very close to the good detail I have seen from some shots here of the E-5 in good light. I do remember though the samples from the other show with the model Olympus picked - some of them from raw were pretty good with detail, but don't think they were using this lens.

I can totally see this is a tweaked GX1 sensor but in the end doesn't matter, the performance looks about same. Not bad. Not the "revolution" some think, but not bad.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow