Started Mar 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,989Gear list
Like?
G1X - New Day, New Pics
Mar 6, 2012

After a second day or two with the Canon G1X, I'm getting a better feel for it as a general day-to-day use camera. It's becoming more intuitive to use and I think perhaps that it was hard to forget that this isn't a G11 or a G12.

As a general "walkabout" camera, it's excellent and you'll be hard pressed to take a bad picture with it when shooting building exteriors or interiors or landscapes. Portraits should be fairly easy. Moving pets perhaps not so easy - but possible. It's nicely balanced and I don't think it feels heavy or even too light. It's easy to feel confident using it although it may help to target a brightly lit subject area before recomposing the shot as it may sometimes blow out extremely bright highlights. Something I usually do is knock down the exposure bracketing by -1.

In P-Mode, it works just fine and I have no doubt that it can perform admirably with Auto mode engaged for those new to the Powershot range of cameras. Having access to full manual control allows you to quickly select a faster shutter speed to avoid blurred subjects. I would have preferred to have the ISO dial left where the Exposure Compensation dial is presently located. Most people tend to set their exposure setting and leave it there.

I was hoping to see a lot of G1X threads with samples of other people's handiwork but so far there's not many posts. Please post them when possible... a lot of us would love to see what you see.

Some pics I took since yesterday afternoon....

From the Canon s95 - A look at the larger G1X lens. It's a beefy camera without being too large. Nowhere near the size of a DSLR with the same sized sensor.

Broken window on the street
Mode - P-Mode
Tv - 1/40 sec
Av - f/5.6
ISO - 100 (Auto)
Lens - 22.5 mm
WB - Auto
Macro - ON

Guilty as Charged - a VERY naughty black cat called Quorra.
Mode - Av-Mode
Tv - 1/160 sec
Av - f/2.8
ISO - 400
Lens - 15.1 mm
WB - Auto

Mauii - looking pensive. Some nice detail captured and some subtle niceties in the lighting of his eyes.
Mode - Av-Mode
Tv - 1/160 sec
Av - f/5.8
ISO - 320
Lens - 60.4mm
WB - Auto
Macro - ON

Nearby construction with reflection
Mode - P-Mode
Tv - 1/80 sec
Av - f/5.6
ISO - 200
Lens - 49.1 mm
WB - Auto

Infra Red Taken with a Hoya R72 IR Filter. This demonstrates that the G1X is more suitable to IR Photography than a great many other Powershots from Canon (Canon do not generally support IR photography in the Powershot range)
Mode - P-Mode
Tv - 0.4 sec
Av - f/3.5
ISO - 800
Lens - 19.6 mm
WB - Custom

Local courthouse - shot blindly with my hand out the window and over the roof of my car as I drove by.
Mode - P-Mode
Tv - 1/800 sec
Av - f/5.6
ISO - 200
Lens - 15.1 mm
WB - Auto

Outdoor Restaurant at the Governor's house. Built in the early 1800s and once home to the Governor of the Australian colonies.
Mode - P-Mode
Tv - 1/30 sec
Av - f/5.0
ISO - 200
Lens - 37.4 mm
WB - Auto

Shooting up a tree - seemed like a good idea - though I have no idea why I took this picture. Located just outside the Governor's house.
Mode - P-Mode
Tv - 1/100 sec
Av - f/5.6
ISO - 100
Lens - 15.1 mm
WB - Auto
Macro - ON

Mauii - getting a little grumpy with his advancing years.
Mode - P-Mode
Tv - 1/100 sec
Av - f/8.0
ISO - 500
Lens - 25.0 mm
WB - Auto
Maco - ON

Meteorites . Couldn't get any close than this, unfortunately.
Mode - P-Mode
Tv - 1/6 sec
Av - f/4.0
ISO - 800
Lens - 20.9 mm
WB - Auto
Macro - ON

Still fits in the palm of your hand - For portability, it still holds out nicely. Again, from the Canon s95.

-- hide signature --
 Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +7 more
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot S95 Ricoh Caplio R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow