Started Mar 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,680Gear list
Like?
Why $3500?
Mar 5, 2012

Is it to cover the high R&D and production costs or Canon is just being greedy? It could be neither. Here I offer another theory. Canon just set the price high to protect the 5D brand image, which up to now is still the best known and considered the best in its class.

This is the trick every luxury goods companies know how to play. They will increase the price every few month so to give people the perception any high price they pay is a good value because it will only be more expensive in the future. They will do this EVEN in bad economic times with the risk of lost sales. Have you ever heard Rolex or Channel to give discounts in order to increase sales? Protecting the brand image is more important than anything else.

I think there is a good possibility that this is Canon’s motivation to set price this high so not to create (or reinforce) the perception it’s a lesser camera than Nikon’s counterpart. Not saying I agree with the strategy but sell more 5DIII may not be the top priority for Canon at this time. The hoped for significant price drop may not be happening too soon if this is the case. What is your take on this?

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow