Started Mar 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
stopshoot
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
Well I've ordered a OM-D
Mar 5, 2012

Ok a bit of background I've had or used Nikon, Canon, Leica and Oly kit in my time. My personal fav was my old Leica M8, yes it was slow but I had a 35mm and it just produced some images that I just loved.

Now my 'professional work' (not that I'm a professional by any means) mainly involves product shots and other stuff for client add designs for web/magazines. These days it's always about speed and portability, plus too be honest I got fed up lugging a load of heavy gear and lenses around - and sometimes the rather unwanted attention it attracted.

I've been hankering after something small and light that produces good quality images. I tried the X100 (and this is not an X100 bash thread as it can produce some fantastic images) after I had sticky blades (a complete new lens unit - good customer service from Fuji I will say) and too many issues with poor focus and meeting I gave up and sold it. So, what was I to do .... Nex-7, OM-D....

Well, I went to Focus (UK major photo show) and got to play with both. Nex-7 may produce great images but I didn't like the way it felt in my hand nor did I like the EVF flicker. OM-D just felt comfortable in my hand and I like the M4/3 lens lineup etc.

Now, I'm not saying the OM-D is better that the NEX as too be honest I don't know. But for me - and just my preference here - one critical factor is handing and general ease of use. Pic up, focus, get the shot time after time.

Ohhh .... yes, I did like the Fuji X-Pro1 but put a lens on it and it is nearly twice the price of the Oly and I liked the weight of the OLY. Plus, I was not that overly impressed with the manual focus, one of my main gripes with my old X100, though they had improved it.

My little 2 cents for what is worth.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow