OMD Quick Impreasions (and other cameras)

Started Mar 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,464Gear list
Like?
OMD Quick Impreasions (and other cameras)
Mar 5, 2012

I had the pleasure of visiting Focus on Imaging at the NEC in Birmingham today. I'll post an image later. Quick impressions straight from my iPad.....

Up close, it's smaller than you might think, barely bigger than a Pen E-Px. The much talked about hump is absolutely insignificant when you're staring at the real thing. Speaking of which, the real thing is one elegant looking camera. First impressions of the controls were favourable but I would have liked more time. The menus are Olymous menus (complainers be warned). Olympus had at most three of these (and they were busy). I was tempted to pre order.....

Like the OMD, the 12-50 looks shorter than you might thing but I'd say still a tad long relative to the diminutive camera body.

So what else did I do today? Well Nikon's D800 presentation was utmost impressive and the Nikon stand was understandably mobbed during the peak hour of the expo. Nikon claim high ISO noise on a par with the D3 and D700. Nikon confirmed they will sell the D700 alongside the D800 for the time being.

I wanted to take a look at the 5DIII but the Canon stand wasn't as accessible. Fuji had their X-Pro behind glass and sigma had neither of their newly announced compacts on display.

A big draw to the Olymous area was a well lit stage and regular performances by a couple of professional dancers (I have photos of these too for later).

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D3 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow