Is S90-S100 still relevant?

Started Mar 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
WillMc
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?
Re: Is S90-S100 still relevant?
In reply to ProtoPhoto, Mar 5, 2012

I am holding onto my S95 for now. As I see it, you have two competing priorities in a compact camera: flexibility versus portability. Ok, throw image quality into there too. The lens of the S90/95/100 is what it is, and you can’t change it. That’s true of the G1X too, of course. An interchangeable lens camera will always offer more flexibility in focal ranges. As far as flexibility of focal range goes, the G1X and the S cameras are similar. As for portability, the S90/95/100 cameras are the most portable “serious” cameras on the market. They are considerably smaller than the G1X and also considerably smaller than any of the “EVIL” cameras, once a lens has been affixed that approximates the focal range of the S cameras. My S95 goes everywhere with me, and I do mean everywhere. It’s either in my pocket, or it’s in my bag along with my Gorillapod for times when I want to shoot something that needs a longer exposure.

Which brings us to image quality. I get it that a larger sensor would permit higher image quality. But the pictures I get with my S95 are really pretty good, especially at base ISO. I have printed very successfully up to 11 by 14 inches and plan to see how much larger I can go. I have no qualms shooting up to 400 ISO, and have gotten good results up to 800 ISO. There is lots of development activity in cameras right now, with the relatively small/yet big sensor interchangeable lens cameras and now the G1X approach of the large sensor with a fixed zoom lens. I’m happy shooting with my S95 while I wait to see what comes onto the market in a year or two. It’s a great time to be a potential camera buyer!

WillMc's gear list:WillMc's gear list
Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow