ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Holger Bargen
Contributing MemberPosts: 851Gear list
Like?
Sensor-Shift and Superresolution/Oversampling
Mar 5, 2012

Dear all,

I am very satisfied with my K5 - but I am always searching for improvement.

We have our wonderful K5 with sensorshift inside of it. The camera uses it for different tasks: Image stabilisation, Sensor cleaning, Astrophotography...

So why not shift the sensor for half a pixel for two pictures and calculate one picture out of these photos with twice the resolution of a single one? Of course it would work best on a good tripod. The technique qould be a little bit like that for HDR adding several layers of sharpness into one. But with these techniques you would always get the same resolution like in a single photo of the serie.

I found on the web that there is a softwar solution available that does these calculations (photoacute) - but only a few lenses are supported for K5 and there is no technique to get overlapping pixels in a reliable way (some people give advice to give your camera a little flap on the top and hope that the sensor/camera moved in a way that is good for calculation of superresolution. Our K5 with pixelshift could do this job better!

Is here anyone with experience fot photos like these? Is it already possible to shift the sensor for half a pixel? Hallo Pentax: maybe an idea for next firmware? Is there some software out there that does this job in an easy and reliable way (maybe another one than photoacute that does not support the camera/lens combinations I need)?

Any help/idea/opinion... is welcome!

I that the resolution of K5 is very good - and even the latest pictures from other camera brands are not much better in my eyes (I'm curious about some pics from the new Nikon D800) but adding some resolution with a simple trick would be something very nice in my eyes.

Best regards
Holger

Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S1 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
Nikon D800 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow