Sony A65 back-focusing? Or is it user error...?

Started Mar 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hello its adam
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Sony A65 back-focusing? Or is it user error...?
Mar 5, 2012

Hi folks, thanks in advance for any advice/comments you may be able to offer...

I have a Sony A65 (just under a month old now). I've had enough time to play with it a moderate amount (1000+ pics) in various different conditions. Been using the kit 18-55 lens and the 35 1.8 lens. While looking through my early pics, I've been noticing inconsistent AF ability. Sometimes the AF is spot-on, but many other times (> 50%) it seems to be slightly back-focusing.

I just did a few quick focus test chart shots with both lenses to try and verify my problem. To my eye, these test shots seem to show slight back-focus, with the intended focus point right on the fringe of focal plane.

I'm wondering if there might be something wrong with the cam.. trying to determine if this warrants returning/swapping for another A65. Or am I being too nit-picky / pixel peepy? Or, could there be something I'm doing wrong?

(FYI, I shot these using the same focus settings I typically use: AF-S, Local AF Area (center point))

35mm:

18-55, @ 18mm:

Thanks again,
Adam

Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow