SX220 HS Trippin Around the Moscow Metro Circle Ring prt1 (7 photos)

Started Mar 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GAREB
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,662
Like?
SX220 HS Trippin Around the Moscow Metro Circle Ring prt1 (7 photos)
Mar 4, 2012

I had a little free time yesterday, so I decided to take my new SX220 HS out to experiment with in the Moscow Metro. I chose the Circle line because it is one of Moscow's most famous metro lines, not the loveliest in my opinion, but pretty nice.

I decided to try out the Program mode using ISO 400 to try and freeze movements of the people and for the most part it worked, but tended to blow out the lighting somewhat, I guess I should have tried using the exposure compensation to try and correct that. Here are one photo from each station, if interested you can see more on my Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonayres/sets/72157629146237102/

I'm still learning my way around this camera, today I bought a new wrist strap to will not let the camera drop from my wrist if I were to drop it. I just did not trust that wrist strap Canon included. I'm still learning just what this camera can do and how to use it best.
JD

going to the Circle Ring and I noticed this young lady reading on the metro. I decided to give it a shot taking her picture since the Metro bounces and shakes so much, it is not easy getting a good photo, even with a DSLR.

The Dobryninskaya station was the first Circle Ring station on my line, so I started here. Opened on 1 January 1950 it was part of the first segment of the fourth stage of the system. Originally named Serpukhovskaya, after the Serpukhovskaya square. On 6 June 1961 the station was renamed to its present name, in honour of Peter Dobrynin a bust to whom was opened in front of the vestibule. In 1983.

Next there is the Paveletskaya station on the Koltsevaya Line of the Moscow Metro. Opened on 1 January 1950. The agricultural influences are clearly seen, these include the square white koyelga marble columns decorated with red marble strips, flanked by marble columns with modern Ionic capitals. Bright bronze chandeliers provide lighting. The walls repeat the two tone marble, white on top, red on bottom, and the floor is laid with grey and white granite.

Taganskaya is a station on the Koltsevaya Line of the Moscow Metro. Opened on 1 January 1950 it was part of the first segment of the fourth stage of the system. The station is named after the Taganka Square which is a major junction of the Sadovoye Koltso. The central feature of the station are 48 Maiolica panels located on each face of the pylon. (work of Ye.Blinova, P.Kozhin, A.Sotnikov, A.Berzhitskaya and Z.Sokolova). These contain apart from floral elements, profile bas-reliefs of various World War II Red Army & Navy servicemen each dedicated to a group such as pilots, tankists, sailors etc. The colour gamma is balanced in such a way that the panels facing the central hall are on a blue maiolica background, whilst the platform hall panels are monochromatic. Lighting comes from a set of 12 gilded chadiliers in the central hall with the same blue maiolica centre. The remaining decoration of the station include a cream-coloured ceramic tile on the walls, powder coloured marble on the lower pylons and also on the walls, and a checkerboard floor layout of black and grey granite.

Kurskaya opened on 1 January 1950. The design features four rows of columns which support the vaults, though the columns are "doubled" hence their wide appearance. In the centre of the station is a large open space with a large vault topping it that rests on four pylons forming an arbour, from which a staircase leads off as a transfer to Kurskaya-Radialnaya of the Arbatsko-Pokrovskaya Line. Another interesting detail of the station is the lack of sculptures and artwork.

While the first southern segment of the Koltsevaya Line were dedicated to the victory over Nazi Germany, the northern segment (Belorusskaya-Koltsevaya to Komsomolskaya) was dedicated to the theme of post-war labour. Komsomolskaya, however, is a clear exception: lead designer Alexey Shchusev designed it as an illustration of a historical speech given by Joseph Stalin November 7, 1941. In this speech, Stalin evoked the memories of Alexander Nevsky, Dmitry Donskoy and other military leaders of the past, and all these historical figures eventually appeared on the mosaics of Komsomolskaya.

Opened on 30 January 1952, Originally called Botanichesky Sad after the Botanical Gardens of the Botanical Garden of Moscow State University which are located nearby, the theme of this station develops the connotation of the name in the overall colour tone. The pylons are faced with flared white marble, and are topped with ceramic bas-relief frieze made of floral elements. In the centre are medallion bas-reliefs (work of G.Motovilov) featuring the different aspects in the development of agriculture in the Soviet Union. The station walls are laid with dark red Ural marble and chessboard floor pattern is made of grey and black granite. The ceiling vault is decorated with casts, and lighting comes from several cylindrical chandeliers.

Canon SX220 HS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow