Why shouldn’t I punt the D800 and go with the EOS 5D-Mk3?

Started Mar 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DocS
Regular MemberPosts: 255
Like?
Why shouldn’t I punt the D800 and go with the EOS 5D-Mk3?
Mar 4, 2012

Can anyone give me a few good, solid reasons not to make this change?

Here’s my reasons for considering the switch:

1. I don’t have much invested in Nikon anyway. Just a D3100 with its kit lens.
2. I don’t want a built-in flash. D800 has it. EOS 5D Mk3 doesn’t.

3. I don’t like the F-mount. The fact that Nikon still uses that archaic mechanical connection to stop down the aperture is, quite frankly, laughable in this day and age.

4. EOS 5D Mk3 has higher ISO range. Up 100-25600 native, and expandable to 102,000. That’s D4 territory!!

5. The 36mp of the D800 is nice, but 22mp is A-OK by all of our standards. Certainly quite a bit better than the D4. At 22mp, you’ve exceeded film resolution.

6. 6fps on the 5D-Mk3 vs. 4 for the Nikon. Considering the fact that 22mp is close enough to 36mp, this makes the added speed even more significant.

What I DO like about the D800

1. The size of the D800: it’s somewhat taller than the 5DMk3 (without being as large as the D4), which means that there’s less likelihood that my pinky will be forced under the camera when holding it. I suspect, though, that the 5DMk3 is tall enough.

2. The price. It’s $500 cheaper than the 5DMk3.

I don’t think these really amount to enough to make me stay with the D800.

Can someone give me some reasons to stick with my D800 order?

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D3100 Nikon D4 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
DocSNew
LoLNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow