Started Mar 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hans Kruse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,119
Like?
1Ds mkIII in Tuscany November 2011
Mar 4, 2012

With the new cameras announced like the D800 and 5D mkIII, is it still worth using a 4 year old Canon 1Ds mkIII? Unless I was going up to MF and much higher resolution like 60 or 80MP, I think it is pretty marginal what will be gained by more pixels on the 35mm format (as in the D800). I have enjoyed the 1Ds mkIII now for 4 years and it has been the best camera ever. I'm using it on my workshops and travels across the world and it has never malfunctioned and with 150.000+ exposures it will serve well for the years coming. A smaller 1Ds alike as the 5D mkIII of course sounds tempting to put in the bag

Here are some pictures from my last workshop in Tuscany in November when the light was fantastic and the greenery from the fields was coming out really great. Weather was not dramatic like the year before which I missed. The year before there was rain and dramatic clouds mixed with sunlight that made it really spectacular. It's an experience I have from coming to the same destinations multiple times per year and year after year for my workshops that every year provides new photo opportunities and sometimes (often) radically different light and weather. Rather than always going to new places, I will advocate for going to the same places and really get to know them well and enjoy the wonders of a new experience every time. Nothing wrong with new places, of course

On this trip I had the new Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II which is really a fantastic lens. In Tuscany I use almost entirely the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L and the 70-200 all the time. A wider lens does not work well for my style of photography and the locations. Although it was dry this year which meant that it was possible to walk into the fields (absolutely not possible when it is wet from rain) it still is rather difficult to get a good composition with a lens wider than 24mm on FF.

Anyway here are the pictures and all are taken using the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1Ds Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
wowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow