Online storage of photos - which service do you use and why?

Started Mar 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Neeyon
Contributing MemberPosts: 972Gear list
Like?
Online storage of photos - which service do you use and why?
Mar 4, 2012

First up, the disclaimer...I know this is probably a topic better suited to the digital darkroom forum, but there have been a couple of similar threads over there over the past few months which haven't received much of a response, hence I'm asking the question on my "home" forum.

I am looking very seriously at options for online photo storage as a remote backup option. I use a couple of external hard drives to backup my entire workflow, so would just be using the online host to backup finalised JPGs. Even so I expect that I'd need in the vicinity of tens of GBs. I have been reading up on the issue (including a few historical threads on these forums) and it seems like smugmug is one of the more popular hosting sites. However many others are frequently used including pbase, picassa, zenfolio etc. and it is making my head spin trying to understand the pros and cons of the various options.

So just thought I'd ask for feedback from others - which host service have you chosen, and why? Obviously everybody has different needs, but I'm interested to hear what these needs may be, and why people have as a result chosen a specific service. Or chosen NOT to go with a particular service.

Thanks in advance...

Neeyon's gear list:Neeyon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Sony SLT-A55 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow