Started Mar 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AllanW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,159Gear list
Like?
D800 tech question ..........
Mar 3, 2012

To the tech people on here ......... I totally appreciate all the info that you have offered! Problem with me is that all this tech stuff makes my head spin .........

I have read on other threads that based on measurements taken, the D800 has lower noise then the D700 but not as good as the D3S.

High ISO low noise is of great importance to me so I am trying to get my head around this. I own and/or shoot D300, D700, D3S.

I am thinking that the D800 will replace the D700 and D300 (One cam does the job of two) but not sure how far behind the D3S it will be noise wise.

So a few questions for you if you don't mind and please keep it simple for us tech deficient dummies

1. From a high ISO noise perspective am I better to shoot the D800 in FX mode and crop in post as opposed to using DX mode?

2. Is the D800 noise advantage (over the D700) only apparent if resized down to the D700 size or is it apparent at the D800 size? I cannot see the point if I have to down sample the D800 back to the D700 size in order to get the noise benefit.

3. From a high ISO noise perspective how far behind (in stops) is the D800 as compared to the D3S?

Many thanks in advance for your help and remember ...... please keep it simple!!!

-- hide signature --

Time Goes By!

Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow