V1 buyers remorse - is this right the camera for me?

Started Feb 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
montedc
Forum MemberPosts: 78Gear list
Like?
Re: As a D700 user with a V1..
In reply to maflynn, Mar 3, 2012

I own a bunch of cameras, including the 5n (which I am selling, since my 7 is coming on Monday) and the v1.

I adore the v1, even though it's a pain in the butt: a) the mode dial gets knocked off so easily; b) the special effects modes [slow-mo pic and best of 5] are useless to me, and they take up 2! of the 4 options on the mode dial; c) the always-have-to-review-the-pic delay. I, like you, chase after my little one, and both cameras have given me wonderful shots. Because the only AF lenses that I have on both bodies top out at f2.8, that constrains my ability to shoot in darker situations, and that's when I put on my 1.4 lenses (in MF mode).

I will tell you one feature on the v1 that just gives me the giggles every time: I put on my 1.4 MF Leica-R lens, I push down the shutter button, and I get dozens of shots in before the buffer fills. That's just awesome.

My point is this: I like that I have different kinds of tools with their own special good qualities and annoying qualities. I think about what situation I might find myself, and I bring the camera that I think will work well. And more importantly, I enjoy the fact that I don't have just one toy, but several toys!

montedc's gear list:montedc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony RX1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Sony Alpha NEX-7 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow