Aesop's fable and the D800

Started Mar 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Fred Briggs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006Gear list
Like?
Re: I think you're somewhat incorrect
In reply to schnoodles, Mar 3, 2012

schnoodles wrote:

I suspect this might be true. £3,000 (UK) is a very high price tag. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford it, but I can't imagine many amateurs stretching to that figure. However, I don't have access to the market research that Canon has presumably done, so maybe they know something I don't.

Yes - agreed £3000 is very high for the non-pro enthusiast. I believe the key figure for body only in the UK is circa £2000 for this market - i.e. 5D/5D II type camera. For many people £3000 is not just a stretch, but totally out of reach.

In my case I was willing to add up to £1000 to the proceeds of selling my 5D II to purchase the 5D III, giving me a fund of £2300. Another £700 on top of that is just not justifiable.

It would be more understandable if the 5D III was clearly aimed at a different and higher market segment and named differently in recognition of this. However it is clearly not given the naming. Also, the upgrades over the 5D II, though welcome, are only incremental and long overdue, and to be honest no more than should be expected in a 5D II replacement after nearly 4 years.

Fred

Fred Briggs's gear list:Fred Briggs's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow