Started Mar 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
schnoodles
Forum MemberPosts: 62Gear list
Like?
Re: Aesop's fable and the D800
In reply to NikonScavenger, Mar 3, 2012

NikonScavenger wrote:

Rational wrote:

In the well-known Aesop's fable, the fox was salivating about some juicy ripe grapes that it could not reach. "Ah, they are probably sour", the fox said to appease itself.

People with several thousand dollars' worth of Canon lenses will buy the mark III and rationalize why it's the best camera on the market in its segment for the price and how you have to be an idiot to buy the Nikon.

People with several thousand dollars' worth of Nikon lenses will buy the D800 and rationalize why it's the best camera on the market in its segment for the price and how you have to be an idiot to buy the Canon.

Someone just beginning to invest in a camera and lens system will wonder why the Mark III costs MORE than the D800, which looks much better on paper.

...the real winners are hopefully anyone who is in the market for the D700 and mark II.

And all those groups of people will just be speculating until more is known about the real-world performance of those cameras.

Personally, going on the paper stats alone, I'm happy with the Mk III (but then I'm upgrading fromt he original 5D, so the benefit is clearer. I think it's a great camera, if it performs as well as we'd hope. But while I've already per-ordered it, I do think it's over-priced (especially in the UK). What happened to the 5D being the "affordable" full-frame camera? Also, if I was starting out from scratch, I'm not sure which brand I'd go with. They both have pros and cons.

As a side note, looking at the stats of this beast, is it even a 5D any more? I can't help feeling that it's not. The 5D (and Mk II) was always considered more of a landscape camera. The Mk III looks like more of a multi-purpose camera. In fact, I'd say it has most of the features that people always wanted from the mythical 3D. Looking at the Mk III side-by-side with the EOS 3, it looks like a marginally superior camera. It's even got a faster frame rate than the EOS 3 without the booster.

schnoodles's gear list:schnoodles's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow