How Much Does It Cost To Print Your Own Photos?

Started Mar 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
JerryG1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,227
Like?
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Print Your Own Photos?
In reply to TomHeaven, Mar 3, 2012

What's the point of a survey, Tom?

For all reasonable circumstances the two dominant costs are ink and paper, and those are already well documented. For example Eric Chan estimates ink usage for the Epson 3800 at 2ml/square foot + maintenace use at 10-20%. Price of OEM inks currently are about $50/80ml . This works out to about $1 to fill an 8.5 x 11 inch piece of paper with an average picture's worth of ink.

Paper varies from about $.10 to $2.00 per " sheet. Add the $1 worth of ink to the cost of your favorite paper and you've got the two most significant costs.

Printers last years, usually becoming technically obsolete before non-fuinctional. Hardware depeciation over a lifetime of several thousand prints is only a few pennies or at most dimes per print for any sensible workload. All other costs are even lower

It costs me about about 2.50 for an 8.5x11 image on my $1/sheet Ilford Gold Fibre Silk.

Note that this does not include the cost of mistakes, which I prefer to call proofs. The cost of what goes in the garbage probably equals what I keep--such is the price of perfection ;).

Yes it's cheaper to go to Costco than to print my own. Cheaper, but not nearly as good.
--
JerryG

My galleries at:
http://www.pbase.com/jerryg1

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow