ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gregp701
Contributing MemberPosts: 630Gear list
Like?
Buying a new PC
Mar 3, 2012

Hello,

I am in the market for a new PC for image processing and general usage. First of all, my budget is somewhat limited as I am also in line for purchasing a new Nikon D800.

My current system is a HP p6647y which has a quad core AMD processor and 6 gbs of ram. My current processing software programs are lightroom 3, photomatix pro, and PTGui for stitching. I am happy with all of these programs and don't plan to change them, but I would like to future proof myself a bit for CS5 down the road.

Right now, my system handles my d7000 files pretty well without much hang up other than when I try to stitch larger images. Single rows do ok but stacks of rows really give this system a hard time to the point of locking up. Hence my possible need for a more powerful system.

I have been looking around a bit and have found this Pc for a reasonable price. It tics most of the boxes that I'd probably need. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11329189&search=7644Mi&topnav=&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode%20matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=7644Mi&Ntt=7644Mi&No=0&Nty=1&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial

The only real issue I see is that it uses intel integrated graphics rather than a dedicated graphics card. Also, I can't seem to find information on the hard drive speed. Are all hard drives 7200 rpm or better now days? This system does appear to be expandable so the graphics card may not be an issue.

I would be extremely interested in your thoughts on this PC and also other thoughts and recommendations you might have.

Thank you for reading and your replies.
--
http://gregp.smugmug.com/

gregp701's gear list:gregp701's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow