Started Mar 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,052Gear list
Like?
Going without a DSLR?
Mar 3, 2012

I haven't seen a post on this for a while; but I'm trying it again for the fourth (?) time. Once with film cameras, and twice previously with digital. This time around, I'll have the Canon G9 and S90, the Panasonic FZ150 and a ZS15 on order to replace a Canon SX230HS.

The reasons behind selling the DSLR (a Nikon D90 and kit) is: 1) a dissatisfaction with the D90, 2) a pretty strong confidence in my current P&S collection, and 3) the thought that the next generation of Canon Rebels ought to have what I want.

A good part of my photography is our travel (41 cruises to date), and I don't take a DSLR on travel anymore because of bulk and weight, a trend that started for me well back in the film era with the 35 mm AF P&S cameras in the late 80's and into the 90's.

For travel, I usually select my camera from the S90, ZS15 (if it works out), and FZ150. I have a Metz 24AF-1 for the FZ150, and a Metz 28CS-2 slave flash for use with the hot-shoe-less cameras. Of course, if needed, I can take my G9 or my wife's A710IS on a trip; but those two tend to stay home and get used around here. I REALLY like using the G9; it doesn't work as well for travel; but it's really nice for local use and walking around, and for flash, it's my DSLR surrogate.

I'm posting this as I suspect others have had similar urges. In any case, I'd like comments.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S90 Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 (Lumix DMC-TZ6)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow