Started Mar 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
aardvark7
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,110
Like?
A Sony A900 users view of the 5DMkIII..
Mar 2, 2012

I look with curiosity on the comparisons between the new Canon and Nikon D800 and think my objective view may be of interest.

Personally, I think Canon have judged the compromises best.

It may be that for absolute detail at the extremes of use, the extra MP of the Nikon will come into their own, but for the vast majority of occasions and the vast majority of users the disadvantages are far likely to be more important.

I bet the image quality of the MkIII will be fantastic, probably noticeably better than the MkII (and A900!) but think data handling and storage is a significant consideration.

I certainly would not be keen on much larger files than I currently deal with. As it is, I am up to almost 8TB of files, so a 36MP sensor would be a potential nightmare.

Even if the Nikon is significantly cheaper, the extra storage and computing power needed would soon offset that.

My very real fear is that Sony, with their close links with regard to sensors to Nikon, will be heading down the Nikon route. If it becomes a reality, a system change may be in order...
--
2012 : My new year's resolution -

To be decided...

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow