The reason I won't be switching to Nikon is . . .

Started Mar 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
keithinmelbourne
Contributing MemberPosts: 656Gear list
Like?
Re: The reason I won't be switching to Nikon is . . .
In reply to CBuff, Mar 2, 2012

CBuff wrote:

Keith, in other words, you feel trapped by Canon. The elevated switching cost is allowing them to exploit the situation, by overpricing the 5Dmk3. If it wasn't for the switching cost, you are implying that you would have moved to Nikon.

If I was a member of the Canon management team, I would be extremely worried by a situation where my customers are staying "not because of" superior products, superior service, better value or brand loyalty, but rather because they are trapped with elevated switching cost. I would be very worried.

Look, I think that when you first buy into a system, any system, you need to think more long-term. I love my Canon primes and I'm less concerned about the incremental improvements to ISO performance, etc. The bodies I currently have do the job.

I will wait another 6 months before deciding whether I upgrade or not. The 5D3 looks pretty good to me, but its not worth upgrading (for me) at its starting price. It's a bit like waiting for a new movie's DVD price to drop. There are people who will rush out and pay top dollar and there are those who wait for the price to drop. I'm one of the latter, so maybe I'm just a cheapskate

In the meantime, I don't feel trapped by anyone or anything -- I'll just have to keep taking photographs.

keithinmelbourne's gear list:keithinmelbourne's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 100D +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow