Shafted !

Started Mar 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
AlanClements
Regular MemberPosts: 104
Like?
Re: Shafted !
In reply to jacktorrance, Mar 2, 2012

Ditch the box... great idea...

Let me explain. I'm a university professor and I once taught a student an advanced course on computer science. He worked for the customs in the UK. He explained how he knew all the tricks and nothing annoyed him more than someone who lied to him (like everyone smuggles stuff in dirty underwear thinking the officers are too delicate to search there).

Once stopped, the firsrt thing they ask you is "Are you aware of the law" and "Do you have anything to declare?" If you now say "No" they can get you for perjury - and that's serious in the UK (Jefff Archer got 6 months for lying about a hotel).

In practice there is a 99% chance that you won't get caught. I'm not willing to take that 1% risk.

For what it's worth, I was once robbed in New York ad my camera gear stolen. I bought replacements from B&H. As it was expensive, I decided to declare it. I told the custom's officer about my experiences and said "Are you really going to tax me after all this?" He said "no" and let me through...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow