Started Mar 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tashley
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,132Gear list
Like?
D800 switcher from Canon needs glass advice
Mar 2, 2012

I shoot Phase One IQ180 for really serious stuff, Leica M9 for the particular look it has, and a GH2 for travel. For everything else my go to for years has been a 5DII with 24-105, 100-400 and some Canon and Leica R primes.

I have a D800e ordered and am ready to make the switch but am yet again running up against the problem of glass: I got rid of a D7000 last year because the DX zooms were all poor and no match for the 24-105.

Now I have the D800e coming I need to think about glass: the 24-70 looks great but it's range is a little limited and there's no VR. The 24-120 and 28-300 both seem not quite good enough from the reviews. I know the 70-200 VRII is amazing because I had one but then the Canon 100-200 is about the same size, great quality but much better range.

I'd hate my second attempt at a switch to Nikon to be stymied again by the glass, and for really important t=stuff I will use primes of course: but decent zooms are really important to me.

What advice do the Old Hands have to give?

Thanks in advance

Tim

What do
--
Gallery: http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow