Started Mar 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
astralux
Regular MemberPosts: 187
Like?
Looking for D7K poor skin tone fix.
Mar 2, 2012

Hi there, I am very happy with my D7K as a camera but the skin tones and other colors that it produces when shooting jpegs are well, terrible. My main studio camera is a D3x so I suppose I am spoilt, but I figured that there had to be a reason why the D7K colors are so far off. So, in stead of whining about it I set out to find out what is going on. To get a usable reference I shot an Xrite color chart under sunlight with my D3x in Raw and inported it into ACD. Using the color check dropper it was clear that the D3X was producing very good and especially linear color results(and for the price it had better do so!). Next up the same test was done with the D7000 (same lens as the D3x test) and here disappointment set in. The RGB channel variance was large (more than 15%) and what was more worrying was that the variance was inconsistant across the different grey scale images. Shooting the color chart in jpeg (using the 3 color picture presets) produces really poor results (all images were exposed (to within 5% of full scale to make sure that no channel was blown). On my camera the blue channel is the furthest out and is usually very low and the images looked 'muddy'. As far as I can tell there is no way to edit the presets other than a crude hue adjustment. The presets can by exported however and therein lies a possible answer. Is it possible to externally edit the presets?

I next converted the RAW file to a DNG via the ADOBE converter (possibly not accurate but it produced very good results for the D3x) and then created a camera profile via the Xrite and also the Adobe utility. Next the D7K test image was imported into ACR and the D7K profile was used to correct the RAW image. Much better but still somewhat over saturated, which can be fixed. Now skin tones are much more accurate (not perfect but acceptable) but it leaves me with the problem of converting a 1000 images (shot regulary on a daily basis) to jpg via ACR which takes a very long time and is tedious.

Questions:

1) Can Nikon adjust the channel color balance of the camera via software at a Nikon service facility?

2) Is it possible to externally create a picture control that will give me the results which the camera is obviously capable of so that I can shoot jpegs with neutral colors?

3) Why did Nikon program the camera to give such poor color results or is mine a poor example?

Once again, I love the camera, it focusses very well and the light meters are very good but color handling must be fixed and I suspect a simple fix is possible.

Nikon D3X Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow