Started Mar 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Timberland
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,211Gear list
Like?
5D MKIII AF how good is it?
Mar 2, 2012

For me it's not clear what to expect from the AF system in the 5DMKIII.

I'm thinking about getting a 5DMKIII to use with my 7D for sports (and other kinds of photography of course).

I really do hope to get more keepers from the AF system of the 5D MKIII while tracking players.

I want to know how good the AI Servo mode works for tracking football players (soccer).

The preview is saying:

It's not the entire 1D X AF system - because the 5D III doesn't have the 1D X's 100,000 pixel metering sensor to gain tracking information from, nor a dedicated Digic 4 processor to make sense of it all. However, even without them, it's still one of the most comprehensive AF systems on the market and, most importantly, brings the camera much closer to the level of contemporary Nikons.

and

And, while it doesn't have the 1D X's 100,000 pixel metering sensor, it still has a 63-point, color-aware metering sensor (a Foveon-esque two-layer affair), to help the camera track subjects.

So at what level are the AI Servo tracking capabilities going to be at? 7D level or 1DMKIV or completely different?

The number of AF points don't tell me anything, I only use a couple of them. I just want them to be very accurate and track objects even better than the 7D does (to get less OOF photos).

Any thoughts on this?

Tim
--
New gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/tvw/morocco

Timberland's gear list:Timberland's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +2 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow