Started Mar 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
EdCanon
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Is the 5D III a successor to the 7D - Is it the perfect sports camera
Mar 2, 2012

I have been using a 50D and a 20D before that to shoot various sports activites and family photos. I shoot volleyball as well as soccer, so I have both ends of the spectrum from a shooting perspective. The problem with the 50D is low light in the volleyball games do not allow me to get shots without bluring, even when cranking up the ISO. My friend has the 7D and is able to get the shots I want.

I have been holding off getting a new camera, but was hoping this would be the 7D II not the 5D III. After looking at the specs and reading the initial review, it seems that this could be a very good sports camera, given the new auto focus. The one negative is that there is no pop up flash, this is simple and keeps my wife happy. The other issue is both a positive and negative, the full frame. I know the quality will be better and I will be able to get closer shots. But now my daughter playing soccer and son football, will not be as close as they are with the 1.6 Crop.

The video option is also appealing, since my video camera died recently and I would like to replace it with the video features of the camera. The video features of this camera appear to have everything, but what would I miss other than the form factor of a video camera.

So my question is: Is the 5D III going to be the ideal sports camera for both still and video and supperceed the 7D, or why would I want to go with the 7D or wait for the 7D II? 5D II is out due to auto focusing issues.

Please help, this is an honest question and I am looking for helpful responses. Money is important, but I can afford the 3500 if it is the right choice. I would keep this camera for 4+ years.

Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NopeNew
yesNew
whyNew
NopeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow