Started Mar 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
amdme127
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?
Successor to the SD1/SD1M wishlist
Mar 2, 2012

I know this is probably too soon, especially since the SD1M has not been released yet. But I figure if we start compiling a reasonable list of updates and changes we would like to see in a successor to the SD1M, it might give Sigma some guidance and we could help in forming the the successor.

This is a successor to the SD1M, so this is not supposed to be full frame (that is a topic for another time), this is for around a $2,000 US.

Here is my list of improvements I would like to see:

I want to see a similar upgrade from the SD14 to the SD15 with this successor to the SD1M.

Same Sensor as the SD1M (lenses have a hard enough time keeping up with the sensor and I don't think adding megapixels will make a difference)
960,000 dot screen (same as the DP1M and DP2M)
Dual TRUE III image processors
20-30 size RAW buffer
5fps (this can remain the same)
Improvements to efficiency for better battery life
Responsive when buffer is full and during writes
Improved Write times (clears buffer quicker)
1/400 or 1/500 sync speed with external flash
Improved AF

Improved ISO Performance (Max 9600 or 12800)(3200 definitely usable, as usable as 1600 is on the SD1M, and 6400 if possible)

Improvements to image quality at low ISO (just because we want better high ISO doesn't mean Sigma can't improve what they already do well also)
Improvements to binning modes and their image quality at each size
Better Viewfinder Coverage if possible (100% please)

Sigma might struggle with lower light situation, would be really cool to see them make a first rate Flash/external light system for their cameras. With the increased sync speeds just being the start to helping cover Sigma's weakness of low light performance.

I am sure there are things you agree with on my list and disagree with, would like to say, feel free to post your thoughts. I think most of my list is fairly reasonable, maybe a few things are a stretch, but I think most of it falls in line with the upgrade between the SD14 and SD15.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc?

-- hide signature --

Matt

"Knowledge, absolutely sure of its infallibility is faith" -Yevgeny Zamyatin

http://ureye-studio.com

amdme127's gear list:amdme127's gear list
Sigma SD9 Sigma SD15 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 28mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +10 more
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Sigma SD1 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow