Based on the 5D Mk3 announcement, my thoughts on the 'new' Rebel

Started Mar 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,628Gear list
Like?
Re: Based on the 5D Mk3 announcement, my thoughts on the 'new' Rebel
In reply to archiebald, Mar 2, 2012

Looking at 5dMk3 image samples, my guess is Canon is betting heavily on Digic 5 as being the single most important update for shooters and the masses. Enthusiasts on these websites like to downplay the importance of OOC jpegs, but I think to the mainstream that might actually be one of the biggest selling points (i.e. just being able to take a great picture in jpg form and uploading it to the web or viewing it being crystal clean on the LCD where consumers will make buying decisions)? To be honest I do find the Digic 5 jpeg noise cleanup to be extremely impressive, and its a cheap way of cleaning up noise and having high ISO performance to the masses. The more difficult way of dealing with high ISO is to actually have a far better sensor, but that requires far more capital into R&D and sensor development. What they have done instead is basically implemented it in cheap software/hardware, but overall it looks effective. I would dare say it looks better than Topaz De-noise performance and its simply built into Digic V. Their line of reasoning may be that as long as it gets denoised somewhere by the time it hits jpg, who cares if it happened at the sensor, or immediately after within Digic V?

I'll revise my initial statement and I believe Canon may do updates with Digic V and heavily market high ISO with OOC jpegs or using their DPP software, etc. I think it'll still end up disappointing RAW enthusiasts however.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Sony a6000 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow