ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Anirut J
Regular MemberPosts: 176
Like?
Which 18-250: Pentax or Sigma?
Mar 2, 2012

Pls recommend which 18-250 will be suitable for my needs:

• Fast focusing speed in all kinds of lighting situations, from bright noon to dim bars.

• Good for journalism style, immediate, capturing the moment and people more than making fine arts.

• Pictures will not be printed. Mostly for web use. And if printed, will probably not be larger than A3+ size (17"x19").

• I may need to add a TC to extend the longer end in some cases. And would adding a TC hinder the focusing speed?

• For use on my K-r (for now).

I'm torn between these two lenses. If I understand correctly, the Pentax seems to give somewhat better pic quality, but I don't know about its focusing speed. I also don't know if the Sigma's HSM will be any faster enough to justify the drop in pic quality.

And, are the differences in pic quality of these two lenses far apart? Or pretty close? Or which one will have an edge over the other in some ways or in certain lighting situation?

Also, is the on-lens SR on the Sigma better than Pentax's in-body SR to be of any consideration?

(My friend has a mint, rarely-used Pentax 18-250 sitting at home that he's willing to sell me but a new Sigma's cheaper)

Sorry for the lengthy details. Thanks in advance, everyone.
--
R.I.P. -- Rejoice In Photography

Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow