Dinner party with E-420 and 25mm f/2.8 pancake

Started Feb 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
AllBrands
Regular MemberPosts: 481Gear list
Like?
Re: Dinner party with E-420 and 25mm f/2.8 pancake
In reply to photogirl7, Mar 2, 2012

photogirl7 wrote:

How true. I just wish they didn't stop making the e-420.

Perhaps better aimed a the Japanese home market where they love anything small. Here in the USA, Olympus resorted to dumping old-new inventory through Walmart with the E-420/14-42mm kits retailing for only US$399. Hardly profitable for Olympus and hurtful to their brand-image overall.

Myself, I bought the E-420/25mm kit brand-new elsewhere for just $352. Deduct $250 for the pancake lens and that only leaves $100 to cover the cost of the camera body.

During that same period, Fry's, Ritz/Wolf, and Cameta also had amazing blow-out specials on E-520 and E-620 kits including double lens kits. That can't be good for a manufacturer's bottom-line.

I confess that I enjoy imagining the gnashing of teeth at Canon and Nikon as they worry over how to compete against Micro-Four-Thirds and NEX without cannibalizing sales of their own compacts, DSLR's and established lenses. Precisely what made them strong enough to knock-out Olympus in the DSLR market is what creates obstacles for Canikon in the mirrorless/CSC market today.

My E-420 is the most enjoyable to use camera I've ever owned (and I've owned three Pentax DSLRs one of which, the K-7, I still have).

I hope that with the OMD-series, Olympus will now be able to regain their brand caché and return their camera products division to health and profitability.

AllBrands's gear list:AllBrands's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD550 Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS Olympus E-420 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow