Started Mar 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ComputerDork
Regular MemberPosts: 225
Like?
atypical "multidisciplinary" photo student needs career advice
Mar 2, 2012

I'm taking photography classes right now and I'm interested enough in photography to want some sort of career in photography, but my prior experience has all been in science/technology/engineering (primarily computer networking and software) and I'm not that great at the whole "run your own business" thing.

From what I've heard so far, photographers typically need to be both photographers and businesspeople who run their own businesses. So, in a sense, "photographer" actually seems to be a multidisciplinary job that combines photography and business skills. It doesn't seem like you can "just" be a photographer without also being a businessperson unless maybe you're already some famous artist or something.

So I'm trying to figure out what sort of jobs I could do that don't require self-employment that might combine photography with technical/engineering type stuff, but with more emphasis on the photography side. In order words, rather than be a combination of a photographer and business executive, I'd rather be some sort of combination of a photographer and engineer because I'm more technical oriented than business oriented.

Does this make any sense? Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow