Started Mar 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JoeDavid
Regular MemberPosts: 226
Like?
CF Cards and the 5DM2
Mar 2, 2012

Looking ahead to the purchase of a new 1D X or 5DM3 camera body, I decided to go ahead and purchase a couple of the new Lexar 1000x UDMA 7 16GB cards. B&H sales them in a two pack for a pretty good price. Anyway, they came today and so I decided to see if the faster cards and latest firmware would make a difference in the 5DM2. I had a Transcend 32GB 400x card in the camera already so I fired away at the maximum frame rate with my standard RAW + Medium JPEG setting. The camera fired off 8 shots quickly and then cogged down to 2 FPS or less for shots 9 and 10 when the buffer flushing caught up with it.

Replacing the Transcend 400x card with the Lexar 1000x card didn't make a bit of difference. 8 shots quickly, then carp. Although not exactly scientific, to my ear the additional shots were at the same rate with both cards.

I'm not exactly sure what the moral of the story is. Either the Transcend 400x card is pretty good, the Lexar 1000x card is lousy, or the 5DM2 write speed can't even fully utilize a 400x card much less a 1000x card. I suspect it is the latter...

FWIF

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow