Started Mar 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ed Rizk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,447
Like?
Please allow me to show my ignorance.
Mar 1, 2012

This Foveon thing boggles the mind. I have read a number of articles and endless posts on the forums on it. The IQ on some kinds of shots from the Sigma cameras is outstanding. Not so much on others. Many in this forum seem to shoot two brands for that reason. I am thinking of getting one of the DP cameras for that reason, but have numerous questions that I would greatly appreciate your help with.

Is it correct that the Foveon sensor is superior in bright light with bright colors?

Is shadow detail difficult with Sigma, or is that a matter of taste or my perception?

Correct me if I'm wrong. The Foveon sensor gets the correct color for each pixel. Bayer sensors interpret the color based on the adjoining pixels. The needed AA filter on Bayer sensors and the processing reduces the resolution on the Bayer images. The Foveon sensors count the pixels on each layer to get the MP which we use to compare resolution of various cameras. How would you compare the resolution of a Foveon sensor to that of a Bayer sensor?

I have read here that the Sigma RAW files are not compatible with Lightroom. Are they compatible with Aperture?

If they are not compatible with Aperture, do you create a TIFF with as much detail as possible with the Sigma software, or do all your global manipulation in the Sigma software and convert to JPEG?

I don't see any HDR images on the Sigma forum. Is that because you are all purists, or is there a problem with using HDR with Sigma cameras? (Yes, I am one of those lunatics who likes HDR, but not exclusively)

My Canon 60D makes off camera flash easy. I never thought I would use it, as I am an amateur and it seemed very technical. Once I tried it, it was easy, and I like the effects. Can off camera flash be used on the DP series cameras? How is it on the SLRs?

Well, the more I write about this conundrum, the more ignorant I sound, so I'm going to shut up now. Thank you in advance for your response any or all of these questions. Advice or verbal abuse is always welcome.
--
Ed Rizk

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow