Started Mar 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chris Mak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,069
Like?
pentax k5. Why I decided not to
Mar 1, 2012

Seeing the Pentax k5 drop in price to less than half of what I paid for my E5, I could not help but feel I should get one.

A far better camera than the E5 in regard to dynamic range, with a state of the art sensor, that we at the 4/3 side of the world can only dream about, at that price!

Still, I'm letting the Pentax k5 pass me by. Why?

Once again, as I do when I feel I should do something to upgrade the core quality of my photographic kit, by looking elsewhere for a better sensor, I started investigating after available lenses for the new target camera.

And again, as always, I stumble and slip and back off.

What good is the best camera in the world when I cannot use my Olympus SHG lenses on it?

Seriously, I'm not that enslaved to the zuiko optics, that I cannot appreciate lenses by other manufacturers, but the Olympys SHG lenses are irreplacible for me nonetheless.

Looking at endless samples of the Pentax primes, and wondering: what am I missing? then looking at my own photography with the zuikos SHG's, I at last accept that I'll simply have to wait, wait and wait until a 4/3 sensor emerges that has the brilliance of the likes of Sony engineers at its heart, instead of being a weak, affordable compromise that might do video well, in a premium body.

Really, how stellar the Olympus 4/3 lenses, especially the SHG's, are, thus stellar are the Sony sensors, but they are seperated by a deep and unbridgeable gap, and Olympus will remain a two faced brand where 4/3's is concerned: uncompromised and touched by brilliance where the lenses are concerned, and half-hearted and uninspired, and as far from cutting edge as you can get, where the sensor in the pro bodies is concerned.
But the zuikos still have the edge on the total sum of photography for me, so...

Chris

Olympus E-5 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow