G1X - Slow lens a show-stopper (depending on your use)

Started Mar 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
neil74
Regular MemberPosts: 365
Like?
G1X - Slow lens a show-stopper (depending on your use)
Mar 1, 2012

When announced the G1X really got my attention, despite being a Nikon user professionally I have always enjoyed the G series cameras which have imo the best interface of any small camera. Then I saw the speed of the lens and my heart sank F5.8 at the long end is not just slow it is pedestrian which is a real shame.

The reviews seem to point to the G1x having very nice image quality indeed but maybe not as good as best APS-C cameras like the D7000 or Fuji X100. The fact is though that something like the X10 is likely a closer competitor and at the long end you could be shooting ISO400 on the X10 when you’d have to be at ISO1600 on the G1X everything else being equal. I’ve not done any tests but I’d guess 400 on the X10 is the equal or maybe even better than 1600 on the G1x

It all depends on the use of course, the G1X would likely make a very nice portable(ish) landscape camera but for me I’d use it for general use including much low-light and despite still liking the look of the Canon that lens is for me a show-stopper and no doubt an indication of the target market Canon have for this (as Nikon do with the 1 series)

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
X10?New
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow