X 1pro vs. Nex 7 - comes down to one button

Started Feb 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
flbdig
Regular MemberPosts: 242
Like?
Re: X 1pro vs. Nex 7 - comes down to one button
In reply to Weistling, Mar 1, 2012

I have no clue how you have made the focus lock into an Issue. In reality, what I explained is not a Work Around as you put it. It is just an Efficient way to Focus, then Stop Focusing at a SET Distance, which is what you do with a Focus Lock. Then Shoot. Very Simple. And it eliminates the need to have to Lock the focus and then Unlock the focus to Re-focus. All I am saying is that I have my Thumb on the Button on the Back, whether NEX-7, (which I also purchased and was the first to receive on in my state), and I keep a finger on the Shutter. Why would you think this is a Work around?

And why is the Street shooting so much more of an issue, than shooting live professional sports, concerts, marching bands, senior portraits, which I use this method for when photographing any of these things. Why would Street Photography be more difficult to use the method that the camera has built in it?

As a matter of fact, the "street" example you use would be perfect for NOT having the Shutter and Focus on the same button. I would simple Focus to get my distance, and then hold the camera in one hand, and shoot, if my other hand for some strange reason, can't assist with holding the camera.

I shot the following images, including the first 3 with a NEX-7 using the REAR button to focus and set distance and then the shutter to shoot for street shooting in L.A. The rest of the Images on different cameras I use the same Focus Lock Technique. I NEVER use the Focus Lock the way you use it, and I have OK results without using the lock button.

Weistling wrote:

flbdig wrote:

the focus lock button is a non-issue. If having the focus lock is a primary concern in your shooting, then all you have to do is set the shutter to NOT autofocus. On the Sony NEX – 7, can use the rear button to focus, and when you remove your finger from the button it locks the focus point or just stops focusing, which is all Focus Lock does. Then you use the Shutter button just to take the picture, and not for focus. I use this method all the time so that I can focus with the back button with the shutter button. This eliminates the problem altogether. I did the exact same thing on my Sony a77 and all of the cameras that I own.

Weistling wrote:

I was one of the first pre-orders at Sony Store to receive my Nex-7 a few weeks ago. I anticipated it like a kid waiting for Christmas. It was the closest thing I could find to a digital rangefinder without it costing M9 money. It arrived a few days after the X 1Pro was announced. I sold it on ebay . Why? Because Sony did not put a focus lock button on the back. The AF/MF button is the screwiest thing I have every dealt with too. Lots of reasons have been given why one is better than the other, but no one gripes about this. I know I can't be the only one that depends on this feature. All this to say: THANK YOU FUJI ! Thank you for keeping a back focus lock button on this camera. Composing with this camera is going to be a dream. Thank you for making a camera that is more about stills and less about video. That Nex 7 felt like a small camcorder that also takes stills. The EFV is irritating to look at for long periods too. This is coming from a guy who shoots Sony FF cameras and lots of Zeiss glass.(which I will still use for studio) I see Sony now turning away from serious photographers and becoming enamored with video screens. I am really thankful for Fuji taking things that have worked for decades and melding them with new technology.

PS- Yesterday there were way too many positive things being posted about the X 1Pro. I have decided that I would rather read about orbs and how hollow it is because reading good things just makes this March 27th date feel even farther away.
http://mweistling.aminus3.com/

-- hide signature --

1Co 13:13 But now we still have faith, hope, love, these three; and the greatest of these is LOVE!!!
http://www.flbdig.com

I am glad you are happy with your work-around. I tried it. I hated it. Why? Because in the street, there are still those times when need to switch to using the shutter button as my focus and shutter release. All my other cameras work fine with a AF-L lock hold and yet when I need it, my shutter button still functions without having waste time switching from manual to auto. It's silly to say your work-around is good enough. It's not like it hasn't existed and I am asking for something new and strange.
--
http://mweistling.aminus3.com/

-- hide signature --

1Co 13:13 But now we still have faith, hope, love, these three; and the greatest of these is LOVE!!!
http://www.flbdig.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow