Started Mar 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Wellcraft
Regular MemberPosts: 120Gear list
Like?
More canon lenses questions
Mar 1, 2012

As some of you guys know I'm in the process of buying a new canon 60d, I've been considering hard the kit that comes with 18-135 and 70-300, and I have a budget of $1500. Want and all around and a telephoto.

For those who aren't familiar, I'll be using the camera for sports (5 year old son, soccer, karate and many other in the future) landscape, wildlife and many outdoor activities, we go RVing and boating.

Now I'm trying to make the best decision because I want to have keepers (lenses), I really don't want to deal with selling lenses to get another one.

Lots of members are suggesting me to go for a 17-35 or even the 15-85 for all around lenses and I'm trying to give it a shot.

Now my question about these 2 lenses compared to the 18-135, what the real difference between the 3?

I see that the 18-135 is F/3.5-5.6 and the 17-85 f/4.5, the f# been lower in the 18-135 lens, why people say the 17-85 is a lot better than the 18-135 when the f# is lower and it has a better range?

I thought the lower the f# the better, isn't this true? The 15-85 has F # of 3.5
Between the 3, which one is better and why?

Now, in order to be around my $1500 budget I have to downgrade from the 70-300 to a 55-250 telephoto lens. Is there a huge difference between these 2, range wise and quality wise?

The cost of the 55-250 is $105 and the 70-300 is $300, these prices apply when buying them as a bundle, if not the prices go way up. Is it worth the price difference?

I would love an L series but can't afford them and to be hones I don't think I will be needing them any time soon, so the L series is out of the question.

The price for the 15-85 is $629 and for the 17-85 is $515.

Just so you guys know, I really want a telephoto, this is why I'm including them.

Sorry for the long post, but I need to make sure what I'm doing and I have until March 3rd to place my order.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Wellcraft's gear list:Wellcraft's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow