XPro-1 maybe not for legacy glass, leica users

Started Feb 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
shigzeo ?
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016Gear list
Like?
Re: XPro-1 maybe not for legacy glass, leica users
In reply to RealXenuis, Feb 29, 2012

Indeed, manual focusing is much faster than a few complete circles. It is much much better than the X100, but simply disconnected compared to real helicoid driven lenses. My only real contention (which admittedly is huge) is the viewfinder, which really is much much worse than any rangefinder camera I've tried since the 1950's. The entry eye is too small for glasses wearers and the magnification, which includes 18mm, is simply too small. I understand the reasoning though, as Fuji are not targeting rangefinder users, they are targeting digital users who want a more hands on experience, so super wide angle lenses viewable in the on-camera finder, is important.

I'd be much happier for a 35mm equivalent wide angle viewfinder on the wide side with compatibility for up to 100 or better yet, 85mm lenses. This would allow the viewfinder to be up to 100% and easy for framing and focusing on all lenses aside from very wide angles.

Of course, since this is a crop sensor, it has to be different to regular rangefinders, but still, the sizing is too wide and too small unless as was spoken up here you use a Pre M3 Leica style camera. Even for that person, however, supporting 28mm equivalent from the camera body means that magnification is poorer than the Leica II or IIi, or even I.

Oh well, I feel that this is the best try yet and it is a good feeling camera. It's just that the viewfinder is my bread and butter.

RealXenuis wrote:
You heard wrong from various sources.

abolit wrote:

I heard from various sources that the X1pro's AF is not very good and those 3 prime lenses it comes with have not been designed as a real manual focus ones. They have focusing ring which is not connected to lens but the motor . it takes more than a couple of the full circles to move the focus just a bit, exactly the way it's been implemented in X100.
I'm staying with my M9 for now

-- hide signature --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shigzeo/
Advice/criticism/appreciation appreciated!

shigzeo ?'s gear list:shigzeo ?'s gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow