Started Feb 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tray48
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?
Age Old Question: To Upgrade or Not. D50 to D7000 Need Some Advice
Feb 29, 2012

Soliciting some opinions. I currently own a D50 bought 7 years ago and it works as well now as when I bought it. I have taken this camera all over the world with me and have gotten some great pics with it (and still do). I have used it primarily for travel but with the advent of grandchildren I find I am taking more and more indoor shots. I do have an SB600 but like to use available light whenever possible. The D50 is limited to ISO of 1600 but in low light it really can only be used up to ISO 800. A couple of years ago I got a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 which helps some.

So my question boils down to whether to upgrade to a D7000 and pick up 3 stops of ISO plus all the improvements that have been made over the past 7 years or get a Nikon 35mm f/1.8 and pickup maybe 2 stops but for a lot lot less money. I am aware of the adage that is better to buy good glass rather than a new body, but in this case I am undecided. I really like using my D50. Over the years I have learned its capabilities and limitations under all types of conditions and am very comfortable using it I would appreciate hearing anyone else's thoughts or experience with this.

tray48's gear list:tray48's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Nikon D50 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow