Started Feb 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
qj-chaser
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Canon G1x - hands on today
Feb 29, 2012

I bought the G1x yesterday and got the last one from the shop in London and had a couple of hours in dire light in London today to take some pictures. It was so dull and I was taking trains so I had to use 400ASA and 800ASA. Having got home and looked at the pictures in photoshop CS5 I would make the following observations:-

1. The image quality is amazing and indistinguishable from my 7D.

2. At 400 ASA it is much better than the other G cameras at 80 or 100 ASA and the same as the 7D

3. At 800 ASA it seems better with slightly less grain than the 7D and more details in the high and low lights.

4. The lens is pin sharp with very little distortion, even when wide open.

5. I took both RAW and JPEG and I cannot tell which is which when viewing images at 100% in CS5 - you just can't tell!

Yes it is a bit heavy, yes I'd like the zoom to focus closer and go to 135mm and yes I'd like some protection for the front of the lens BUT it is a simply amazing little camera which will fit in the pocket of a ski jacket or hiking waterproof and once my leather case arrives it will be with me all the time.

I don't quite understand the test shots which were on dpreview for a few days because the actual pictures I am getting with the camera are really on a par with an SLR and kit zoom, if not at high ASA a bit better!

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow