Does Ricoh's lack of roadmap mean there is no roadmap?

Started Feb 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
Re: Does Ricoh's lack of roadmap mean there is no roadmap?
In reply to Tom Caldwell, Feb 29, 2012

Tom Caldwell wrote:

I have put all this quiet down to a restructuring process after the Pentax takeover. Like Ricoh-Pentax is a subsidiary where the tail wags the dog? The K-01 seems to be driven by madder designers than the careful Ricoh precision meisters ever designed.

Tom I think the K-01 isn't a very practical camera for most people (no VF at all and not that small) And it's quite ugly IMO too

(Hey it's amazing that the designer got away with that let alone paid for it!)

Onto Ricoh well I have always said they have a lot of potential. But they have to decide if they want to be a niche player or take the fight to the mainstream. I'd love to see them starting to compete properly with premium compacts (S100, Lx-5, X10..G12/P7100) and similar models.

I do think Fuji grasped my pet issue, viewfinders optical. It's a shame they messed up elsewhere (big time with orbs and stuff) I can't seriously take a look at Ricoh unless they start to get this part

As for GXR I'm sure it will tick along. Pentax will tick along too. But I don't think either company has either the resources or the vision to make both brands a hard hitter. And the Pentax road map didn't do much on that side anyway (not bad but hardly game changer)

GXR is a niche product no matter how you look at it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow