A77 memory card write speed

Started Dec 3, 2011 | Discussions thread
EvilOne
Forum ProPosts: 13,570Gear list
Like?
Re: A77 memory card write speed
In reply to uhligfd, Feb 29, 2012

uhlig wrote:

How about a comparison with what Sony touts as its fasted write card, the 32/16GB/8/4GB Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo Media ?

-- hide signature --

When I bought my A77, I bought what Sony said was the best cards for it. I bought two 16 GB Sony Duo Memory sticks and one 8 GB memory stick Duo. these are the 50 MB/s cards... But shortly after that , there was alot of talk about the "New" 95 MB/s card from Sandisk.... After seeing the speed comparison ( actual visual testing ) and the fact that the most important thing for me is the ability of the card to clear the buffer.. Not how fast the card uploads to the computer.

With my A77 and the Sony 50 MB/s card, I can shoot 16/17 24 MB files before the buffer fills. using my 50 MB/s card it clears in 22 seconds...

Using the 95 MB/s card, I shoot until the buffer fills... it doesn't matter if its JPEG or RAW+JPEG.. when the buffer is full, its full.... !!!
The 50 MB/s card clears the buffer in 17 seconds
The 95 MB/s card clears the buffer in 8 seconds.

For me , that is a very critical difference... I shoot hockey and sometimes need the camera to be ready as quickly as possible for the next burst of shots.. e.g. during a 2 minute penalty, there can be as many as 10/12 shot on goal when the defense is short handed. When its 5 on three it can be more action packed...17 seconds can be a lifetime.. So even though I bought the 50 MB/s cards, I wont be using them except for storage during a vacation, or an event where the need for a quick buffer clear is critical.
Bill
Capturing memories, one at a time.

Visit my Smug Mug Galleries at:
http://evil-twin.smugmug.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow