Nokia 808 Pureview: Did Fuji Get It Wrong with the X10 and EXR?

Started Feb 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,883Gear list
Like?
Re: snake ..
In reply to snake_b, Feb 29, 2012

snake_b wrote:

It's not a real direct relationship, but ever notice how you'll see lots of these tiny-sensored cams still producing blue skies under extremely bright conditions (though at the expense of little to no shadow detail)? It's almost like having an ND filter (and many do these days). It's just reducing the amount of light, that's all. Metering takes care of the rest.

I see what you mean. You are right, they do seem to produce luscious blue skies these days. Now that you mention filters, I wish there was a Fuji compact with a built in IR filter that could be manually activated, instead of the ND filter. That would be a nice little niche.

Wellington100 wrote:

snake_b wrote:

One of the reasons most compacts have slow lenses, with little drive to make faster ones, is the limited DR of the sensors. Even in prosumers, most of us are fighting with the limited DR, having faster lenses.

DR is a big issue for me as well, and one of the reasons I have not jumped to M4/3 yet. But I never realised there was a link between DR and aperture, I have always assumed that DR would be identical at any aperture as long as the overall exposure remains the same. Is this a flawed assumption?

Wellington100 wrote:

snake_b wrote:

I would love to see this migrate to compacts, which can be possible, since on the surface, they would win the MP race with such huge numbers.

The huge benefit of having this tech on a compact is that you could revert to a very short, high quality zoom, say a 24-50 with a very large aperture, say F1.2 and then let the pixels do the zooming for you, up to say 100mm

-- hide signature --

S100, S6500, S5, F300, F200, F70, F11, F31 (deceased), Z5, V10, D40, EX1

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow