Started Feb 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
camerashopminion
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
Swapping my Nikons for an X100?
Feb 28, 2012

After four years of browsing the forums in my lunchbreaks, I've finally made an account - and my first post concerns a big and tough decision I'm trying to make.

Should I shop in some of my Nikon gear for an X100? I've got a D7000 and a D300 in the bag, and an F2, FM2 and F5 on the shelves, and a bunch of lenses and bits. When I shoot, I shoot for pleasure or for art - certainly not a commercial shooter, and I doubt I ever will be. At most, I'd aspire to a bit more of my work ending up on gallery walls. I've used my fiancee's Samsung NX100 a few times, and while I don't like the camera, I found myself a lot more relaxed shooting with a less clunky camera, and generally had fun snapping for the first time in ages instead of just taking photos because I felt like I should.

So, I'm considering selling or trading in the D300, its battery grip, and probably the F5 too - should raise enough for an X100 and the case for it with a little money left over to insure it.

Is there anyone else who has done a similar change over, and can speak from experience? It feels like a good idea, but working in a camera shop for four years I've seen vast numbers of people making bad impulsive decisions. The only thing I worry about is that I might find the lens a bit limiting, so I'm also considering an EVIL - but if you're going to be stuck with just one focal length, 35mm is a nice one to have. Aaargh, decisions decisions!

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow