Help me understand the nokia 808 sensor!

Started Feb 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hybert46
Contributing MemberPosts: 568Gear list
Like?
Help me understand the nokia 808 sensor!
Feb 28, 2012

Hi everyone,

I now this is not directly m43 related but I still think it is interesting to discuss it here. The new nokia 808 features a 41 MP 1/1.2" sensor with a pixel size of 1.4 um and pixel-binning possibilities. This pixel-binning means that noise is averaged-out across multiple pixels so that a final low noise picture of 5MP can be obtained. You can read more info here: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/02/27/Nokia-808-PureView-with-41MP-sensor

So here are a few questions I am asking myself:

• What is the advantage of high MP with binning vs. low MP with larger photosites leading to same final MP image? Don't you loose some room for photosites anyway as you have to add a bit of electronics for each of the 41 MP?

• Is there a hidden reason in the statistical nature of the noise that make this pixel-binning so interesting vs bigger photosites? Is it in the reading noise that you can gain Signal-to-noise ratio?

• What is the role of diffraction in all this. Diffraction must be quite horrible with 41 MP at 100% so does it really make sense?

• We have seen quite an increase in pixel numbers in all format recently (m43 has 16MP, NEX7 has 24 MP, Nikon D800 has 30 MP). Will this super MP sensors become standart in all format in the near future?

• Would you find interesting to have such sensor in m43 cameras and why?

I am looking forward to read your comments.

Simon

-- hide signature --

Simon
Flickr favorites: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjkypfZu
E-PL2 VF2, 9-18mm, 12mm, 20mm, 45mm

hybert46's gear list:hybert46's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +9 more
Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow