D400 - DX & FX Camera Lineup

Started Feb 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
InnerDemon
Contributing MemberPosts: 647Gear list
Like?
Re: No D7000 and no FX
In reply to AWG_Pics, Feb 28, 2012

AWG,

Not sure what you are getting at. There was nothing to win, just some points raised by those that saw the D7000 as a solid value and upgrade vs. those that relied more heavily on some of the D300's features than others. I never suggested that D300 users should sell their cameras and get a D7000 because it was the right decision for myself and some others on this thread.

There are clearly areas where the D300 outperforms the D7000 and visa versa. You may prefer your D300, but that doesn't mean that the D7000 is not a better camera for others who rely less on some of the features that are the D300's strengths. Neither does it mean that the D7000 is not a very capable camera.

There is not a "one size fits all" camera - at least not yet. Everyone has different needs, preferences, and budgetary considerations.

Some may choose to write-off the opinions of Rockwell, Hogan, and others, but the simple truth is that most of them spend more time than most of us thinking, analyzing, and benchmarking various pieces of gear. And they often understand the business side of photography as well. You may disagree with them, but they have a right to their opinion and often raise some very good points.

I certainly have no reason to believe that the people flaming out on this forum regarding some of the pundits have any better thoughts or ideas. If you don't wish to visit Rockwell's or Hogan's sites - don't. But some that dismiss them so casually however, and make tons of snarky comments about the, strike me as "armchair quarterbacks", who sit around sniping at those playing the game, but never seem to make it out onto the field.

Many of us are eagerly looking forward to the D400's announcement, and comparing it to the D800's features to determine which is the best fit for us. While I have one on order, I am not yet sold on the notion that it is the best option for my needs. For those of us valuing IQ over speed, I suspect it may be a tough call between the D800 and D400. When I sit in my camo blind with my D7000 on an overcast day with a bit of forest canopy blocking out some light, and a 300mm f/4 and 1.4 TC, with a 1/250 shutter speed, it is not usual to see my ISO approaching 3000. As such, the better high ISO capabilities of a full frame camera with a 1.2X or 1.5X crop mode may be a better way for me to go. If the D400 has enough improvements on the ISO front, I may determine it is "good enough". Otherwise, I will bite the bullet and move up the D800.

And just to be clear - I understand if, based on your needs, you come to a different decision.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow