Did you upgrade from the 5n to the 7? Was it worth it?

Started Feb 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cedrec
Regular MemberPosts: 327
Like?
Did you upgrade from the 5n to the 7? Was it worth it?
Feb 28, 2012

I'm just curious if anyone switched from the 5n to the NEX-7, and if they thought it was worth it.

These are both good cameras and I've read plenty of comments from people saying, for instance, that they thought their NEX-5n+EVF was a better camera than the NEX-7. On the other hand, most of the comments I've read from people actually buying the NEX-7 sound like people who are just getting into the NEX system, and thus starting with a clean slate.

From what I've heard or read from 5n users discussing this camera:

-the (optional) EVF on the 5n is better positioned and more versatile (can tilt it) than the built-in EVF of the NEX-7

-the high pixel density of the NEX-7 limits your choice of wide angle lenses because many rangefinder lenses cause unwanted color shift in the corners of the NEX-7 sensor
-high ISO noise performance not any better than the 5n

On the positive side:
+better form factor: more customizable dials and buttons, more comfortable grip
+better flash options: pop-up flash, standardized hot-shoe
+more mega pickles for greater cropability

What do you think? Is it all just a matter of personal preference, or did you really feel like you needed to upgrade? Not that we ever "need" to upgrade, but you know what I'm saying...

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow