Conclusion. The SD1 must have the best glass possible.

Started Feb 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gary Dean Mercer Clark
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,251Gear list
Like?
Conclusion. The SD1 must have the best glass possible.
Feb 28, 2012

The SD1 is limited by the glass that you put on it. It will emphasize any flaw in the lens due to it's high resolution. While i can produce some very nice looking images with the 17-70mm the only lens worthy of putting on this camera that I own is the Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro lens. I was absolutely correct in selling off all my older Sigma glass. None of it would have been sufficient to support the needs of this high megapixel camera. I shot some everglades images today and was astounded at the level of image detail I obtained shooting with the 50mm f2.8 macro lens. The level of detail was higher than anything I've ever achieved with my Canon 5D MK II. Mind you this is out of the camera .x3f images unsharpened. With the Canon, I have to sharpen the images to death to massage the detail out of them. I will have to try to test the 8mm ultra wide zoom with this camera, but I'm running out of time with my trial. Darn it. I realized today that I will have to purchase all new lenses for this camera as only my 50mm macro is good enough for it. I really need Lightroom compatibility with the SD1 to make this camera workable on a professional basis. Today I found that half my images were accidentally shot in .jpeg---Horrors of horrors as I must have touch the back during shooting. Like to be able to lock down the menu buttons to prevent these type of errors. Need a tripod to shoot with this high of resolution as hand holding isn't cutting it for me.

I better start saving my money for the new lenses too. Hoping there is a suitable wide for this camera!

Gary Mercer

Gary Dean Mercer Clark's gear list:Gary Dean Mercer Clark's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +7 more
Canon EOS 5D Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow